Thursday, October 11, 2012

Protecting our Children and our Neighborhoods



It has been an honor to have had the opportunity to fight for you every day as your representative. I am running for re-election because you deserve a representative who will put your needs first.

Hello Friends and Neighbors,


Many issues get discussed in the Legislature, but none is more important than our responsibility to keep our streets safe and protect citizens from crime. Over the last four years I have been proud to help pass several important bills to make our communities safer. This year we passed a new law that will give police and prosecutors new tools to fight sex trafficking rings and bring these predators to justice. Perhaps the biggest sign of my commitment to public safety is the fact that Anchorage police and fire fighters, who are on the front lines keeping us safe, are supporting me.

A couple of years ago we had a tragic case in Muldoon where a man used a trampoline to lure kids so he could molest them. I was appalled to learn that Alaska does not currently have a law allowing judges to prevent convicted sex offenders from using play equipment to lure victims, and I introduced a bill to fix this. To me this was a no brainer, but I was shocked when partisan politics caused the House Judiciary Committee to refuse to even move this common sense bill out of the judiciary committee. Your vote for me will send a clear message that we need to pass this bill to protect our kids from predators.

Public safety is about more than just fighting crime, and I am proud to have fought for needed improvements to make East Anchorage roads safer. The new Muldoon Fire Station 6 is now open, and with faster response times it will provide better fire protection and ambulance service for our neighborhoods. I am proud of what we have accomplished, but there is more work to be done. I am asking for your vote so I can keep working to make our neighborhoods safer.



No comments:

Post a Comment